Whole School Curriculum Statement
At New Waltham Academy all subjects aim to:-
- Develop resilient and reflective learners
- Develop curiosity
- Inspire a love of learning and develop imagination
- Be broad and balanced by acquiring relevant knowledge
- Meet children’s interests and everyday ‘real’ life as well as global responsibility
- Develop mutual respect through linked social and British Values
- Enable all children to be confident and retain a variety of knowledge.
We will achieve this by:-
- Ensuring all children have full exposure to carefully planned progressions of skills from Nursery to Year 6 in all subjects.
- Delivering authentic learning that incorporates planned links between subjects as well as discrete Medium Term Planning.
- Developing collaborative learning through effective use of KAGEN in all subjects.
- Developing language through ‘knowledge organisers’.
- Revisiting skills and knowledge which are built upon over time in all subjects.
- Carefully planning support and challenge in all subjects.
- Selecting engaging texts that link to projects and provide enrichment and purpose within our whole curriculum.
- Providing external authentic experiences which support learning where appropriate.
Through Quality First Teaching children will have opportunities to display the abilities to challenge themselves, love learning and be valued and thoughtful citizens.
Ultimately, ALL children will ‘Believe, Achieve, and Succeed’ as they develop skills for later life.
‘Knowledge Organisers’ are our ‘go-to’ document outlining the essential knowledge that teachers will be covering across the project; including dates, key vocabulary, definitions and other contextual or technical information. We ask that parents read through these Knowledge Organisers at home with their children and help children learn the key facts, key dates, key people and key vocabulary over the term.
Termly Planning Grids
These provide a week by week guide to the learning themes taking place in each class this term. Key dates and events are also listed for your information